This historic commercial building is now an asset to Waipu with a refreshed colour palette
Lindy Davis and her family bought the former Bank of New Zealand and bank manager’s home a year ago with the idea of returning it to its former “grand old lady” status.
Established in 1924, the heritage-listed building in Waipu, south of Whangārei, has previously been beige, cream and white with purple and green architraves. The idea was to restore its dignity. “All design features, building materials and the Resene colour palette were carefully selected to ensure sensitivity to the era and to the town,” says Lindy, of the building, now home to two architect’s office and boutique.
The original polished rimu floors are offset by the warmth of Resene Merino walls and Resene Black White on the ceiling. In the main dining room, the walls and joinery are finished in Resene Half Merino with Resene Hermitage providing contrast from the dado to the floor. Resene Club Botanique wallpaper also makes a statement on a feature wall. The barn doors needed to pack a punch, so Lindy went with Resene Nocturnal to show off the polished concrete floors and make them stand out against the Resene Half Black White board and batten walls.
But it’s the exterior in Resene Sea Fog with Resene Nocturnal architraves that really wows passers-by. It’s the perfect backdrop for those exuberant Resene Twisted Sister double doors. There’s no missing this painted lady now.
Words by: Fiona Hawtin. Photography by: Kate Battersby.